And, well, because my life is one giant fucking cliché, it has brought back memories wherein I ingest certain substances for recreational and/or educational purposes.
I´ll elaborate. Some of you may be shocked, others will think "that was nothing". But here is the confession about my past and present drug use:
Marijuana - The Omnipresent vice
Marijuana has surrounded me since, like, birth. I´m surprised I´m not a total pothead. The first time I smoked pot, I had a lovely pole vaulter blow the smoke into my mouth cause I didn´t know how to inhale. He was nice like that. The following 5 years can be summed up as me always having a bag of schwaggy weed. Always. My nickname during this time was Heads. As in, Heads in the Grass. I don´t really smoke pot anymore. I don´t think the nickname sat well with me.
So let´s summarize my experience, along with a point value system to see who the winner of this game is:
- Smoking pot while chilling on a terrace on the island of Kauai +50
- Smoking pot with a parent before going for breakfast with Grandma -150
- Husband having mental collapse after a bong rip and subsequently begging to be taken to the hospital -50
- Getting caught smoking pot behind a bowling alley by the cops and your friend passing out during the interrogation -250
- Smoking pot on a giant rock in a valley of Sedona, Arizona while contemplating vortexes +75
- Smoking pot and then remembering you´re an aerobics instructor due to give a class and your roommates are laughing at your oxymoronic existence -100
TOTAL POINTS: -125
VERDICT: YOU LOSE AND YOU SUCK.
In college I dabbled in psychedelic drugs like acid, mushrooms, ecstasy, mescaline (yeah, I freaking ingested some synthetic peyote, ok, WTF???), and some other drugs that were acronyms that I can´t remember because the drugs effectively killed the brain cells required for remembering their names. Most of these experiences involved trips to Disneyland or a water park of sorts, or camping in the Arizona desert. I don´t regret any of these experiences. I would do psychedelic drugs again, if I were in a controlled environment. And by controlled environment I mean in a padded room with a straight jacket on and a team of medical professionals ready to euthanize me.
Let´s look at how I stack up with psychedelics.
- Take ecstasy at a rave in the middle of the goddamn desert where some idiot puts Icy Hot on your temples that temporarily blinds you and upon regaining eyesight finding your 14 year old cousin standing in front of you, also on ecstasy, and the friend you came with laying on the ground with a credit card in his mouth to stop himself from grinding his teeth out. -500
- Take mescalin with some lovely boy on a camping trip and take pictures of plant life, laughing hysterically all night long. +100
- Realize you should have pitched the tent before you were tripping balls. -25
- Take mushrooms and then turn up to the house you just moved into and have to deal with your new roommates for the first time, while your sister smokes a cigarette in the house, something that was specified as prohibited behavior as a roommate. -150
- Take acid with a sibling and then realize that being around your sibling without drugs already makes you feel like you need to be institutionalized, rendering the consumption of said drugs rather superfluous. Feel as though you would rather cuddle a cactus than continue the trip. -75
- Take acid and then watch the movie Rubin and Ed, the most awesomest Crispin Glover movie EVER. +80
- Accidentally answer the phone while tripping, and it´s your dad. -90
VERDICT: YOU LOSE. WHAT´S WRONG WITH YOU? SRSLY.
In grad school I became friends with a group of psychiatrists, one of whom helped save me from scholarly damnation by getting me drugs invented to help keep me from procrastination and worry.
- Take Strattera and write your Masters thesis in a week. +1000
- Take Propanolol and calmly give a lecture to 200 people, defend your thesis, and lead any discussion. +600
TOTAL POINTS: -1600
VERDICT: YOU´RE A WINNER. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A SPANISH PSYCHIATRIST IMMEDIATELY TO PUT YOU ON ADHD MEDS AND SAVE YOU FROM LOSING YOUR JOB.
So that´s my chronicle of substance use and abuse.
I didn´t mention alcohol, because I might need to do a tally that´s like 3 posts long, and I already know I would be in the red numbers.